Beetle – Girdle and Corset
Completed March 1, 2009
This University project brief was to design and create a costume that had structure and supported the body.
After visiting a costume studio I was really drawn to a costume of a decomposing body. Next to all the sparkles and gilts and glam of the other costumes it really stood out to me so I suppose that was the source of my insect inspiration.
I completed a side project that was the Visual History of the Corset with included girdles. Some of the line drawings of girdles reminded me of a beetles body.
Design & Construction
To create the pattern for this costume I made a toile on the mannequin.
By using cheap calico it's a really good way of experimenting and making many alterations to perfect a design before transferring the pattern pieces on to the desired choice of fabrics.
I used powernet for the side panels which is a fabric commonly used in underwear. This came in nude so I tie died it to give it an organic edge.
A technique called trapunto was used to create the embossed shapes on the centre front panel.
I made a dark green long fronted corset that was worn open.