Bridesmaid Dresses

Completed April 15, 2016

A friend had seen a picture of the bridesmaid dress she wanted but couldn't find them in the shops. Also the 4 bridesmaids were all very different shapes.
To make life easier for her I made all 4 bridesmaid dresses and altered the flower girls dress to match the others.

Design & Construction

Creating 4 bridesmaids dresses for 4 very different shaped people, this involved taking precise measurements for each individual.

I drafted a basic block for each person and created them in calico first to check the fit. This way I was able to draw onto the calico their necklines, better fitting arm holes and my desired princess line for when I move my darts into this new seam front and back.
After transferring this information onto my patterns I made each bodice up in spare satin I have that was a similar weight to the final fabric. I really wanted to check the fit of these close fitting bodices before cutting.
I created a 3/4 circle skirt with horsehair braid in the lining of the hem to hold the shape.
I used horsehair braid in the bows too to give them some bounce.